This quick meal could qualify as a menu hack, it’s so effortless from cook to cleanup. With a bunch of asparagus, a serving of salmon, a little fruit for dessert, and a nice bouquet of flowers, you can put a delicious dinner on a lovely table faster than you could order your favorite fancy take-out. (To bake instead of microwaving, allow about 8 more minutes.)
Ingredients for the salmon
2 salmon fillets, 3-4 ounces each
2/3 cup of cream
2 teaspoons French mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons capers
optional seasonings: chopped tarragon for the asparagus, chopped dill for the salmon
1. Rinse the asparagus and snap each spear where it breaks when bent. Discard/compost the woody ends; place the tender tops and a little oil or butter into a sauté pan on the stove and cook, uncovered, on medium-high for approximately 4 minutes (set a timer to check at 3 minutes) until hot but still bright green and firm. While the asparagus cooks, start the salmon.
2. Prepare the salmon in your tableware. Place the raw, rinsed salmon in Dish 1. In Dish 2, stir together the cream, mustard, lemon juice, and capers. Pour the cream mixture over the salmon and place Dish 2 over Dish 1. Microwave the salmon for 4-6 minutes depending on thickness. The fish should be opaque but moist when done.
3. When the asparagus is finished cooking, turn off the burner, leave in the pan uncovered. Sprinkle on a little chopped tarragon if desired.
4. While the salmon finishes cooking, rinse the fruit and place it in a bowl to chill in the refrigerator, or just set it aside on the counter. Set the table ~ go ahead, get out the candles and linen, you deserve it!
5. Check the salmon for doneness, divide into portions using the same two dishes, wipe off the rims, sprinkle with a little fresh dill if desired, arrange a few spears next to the salmon, and serve.
6. For the dessert course, clear the table, set the very few dishes to soak in warm, soapy water in the sink. Serve the fruit.
7. Finally, quick-wash the dishes, stack to air dry, and you’re done. Easy!