As promised when I first published the thin crust Imo’s Pizza copycat recipe, here is our very favorite pan pizza recipe. Thanks to Food.com and my friend KM for this delicious pizza recipe that, to our tastes, is as good as the real thing. This weekend, have a family pizza party … make the dough together, play games while it rises, set out the toppings, and watch a good movie while everyone enjoys a homemade feast! Remember the ice cream!
“Pizza Hut Original Pan Pizza“
This recipe makes 3 personal-style pizzas. 8” round cake pans yield thicker crusts, but we generally use 9” round metal cake pans. I’m guessing small square or rectangle Pyrex casseroles would work well too. Feel free to improvise with this recipe.
1 1/3 cups warm water (105 degrees Fahrenheit or so)
¼ cup nonfat dry milk
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 package yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
2 tablespoons olive oil (for dough)
9 ounces olive oil (3 ounces for each pan)
Sauce (or use your own favorite), toppings and cheese
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dry oregano
½ teaspoon marjoram
½ teaspoon dry basil
½ teaspoon garlic salt
Meat and vegetable toppings of your choice
16 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
1. Combine sauce ingredients and set aside while you make the dough.
2. Put yeast, sugar, and dry milk into a large bowl. Add warm water and stir to mix well. Let rest for at least 2 minutes until you can see the yeast begin to grow.
3. Add the oil and salt, and stir again.
4. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed.
5. Turn out on a flat floured surface and knead for several (about 10) minutes until the dough is elastic and no longer sticky. Add a little flour as you go if necessary.
6. Divide dough into 3 balls. Roll each into a circle the size of your pans.
7. Pour 3 ounces of oil in each of the three cake pans and spread evenly. Lay the dough rounds in the pans. Spray the edge of each dough round in the pans with cooking spray, cover, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
8. Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. For each 9″ pizza, spoon 1/3 cup sauce on dough and spread to within 1-inch of edge. Distribute 1 or 2 ounces of the shredded mozzarella cheese on the sauce in each pan, then arrange your toppings, and finish by sprinkling the rest of the cheese on top of each pizza.
10. Cook until the cheese is bubbling and the outer crust is brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.
One of our favorite parts of this pizza is the toasty edge. Enjoy!